Sunday, September 9, 2012

Week 2 Round Up

Well, to be honest this week went a little pear shaped and as far as staying on track with my nutrition went.  As I ramped up my training - I added a Bikram yoga class and a couple of extra evening training sessions to my week - it seemed like the old "well I've been training hard, so I can have a much larger portion / an extra snack" mind set came creeping back from where I left it just the week before.  

So, time again to put a lid on it.  I was chatting with some gorgeous 12WBTers on Facebook and one of them told me about a friend who took photos of every meal and snack she ate and posted them to keep herself accountable.  I already keep a food diary using the My Fitness Pal app, but honestly, I'm so good at telling myself that I am "refuelling" or that the calories in couple of glasses of wine "don't count" and it doesn't seem to bother me that I'm clocking over 1800 calories some days.  I'm never going to lose these final kilos if I don't tighten it up and I also think this could be a fun project.  

I'll tweet my eats over at @nikkimaloo on Twitter, but every few days I'll put together a collage of my meals and EVERYTHING I have eaten is going in it, no matter what it is.  Good healthy egg white omelette for breakfast?  Sure!  It's going in.  A sneaky slice of bread with peanut butter?  Sorry Nikki, but you ate it, so own it.  

That aside, I now want to finish my round up of week 2.  I tried Bikram yoga for the first time, something which I have always wanted to try and my lovely friend Bec had started going in South Melbourne so I invited myself along. I was actually really worried I wouldn't have what it took to get through a 90 minute session of yoga in that heat and I was warned by the instructors that it might make me feel unwell and to just lay down and rest if it did.  Well, I'm pretty proud of myself and my fitness level, because I breezed through the entire class and loved it!  Sure it was super intense and hard work but I really enjoyed it and felt AH-MAZ-ING afterward.   I've decided this will most definitely be a regular thing for me.  

Also this week I got back into my interval / speed runs. I ran 8kms containing 4 x 1km intervals running at 80-90%.  For once I didn't find myself swearing under my breath at my running coach because as I hit the fourth interval I felt strong and ran hard and remembered only 6 months ago accidentally reading my running plan backward and running 1km intervals and barely being able to make it through the third one and the fourth I shuffled through and it took over 8 minutes.  NOW each km came in at about 5 and a half minutes - even the last one!  It never ceases to amaze me how consistency will bring you amazing rewards when it comes to training.  I guess you could extend that to just about anything in life really.  

Me, heading out on a 16.5km run last Sunday morning.  Don't I look excited?


So with that I'll conclude that while Week 2 wasn't what I would call a screaming success, I have managed some wins and what I didn't get right, I now have a plan in place to fix it.

Week Three - WATCH OUT!

1 comment:

  1. Great work on the exercise Nikki and I can't wait to see your pictures all week!

    Deb

    ReplyDelete