Monday, September 17, 2012

Thoughts on Training

As someone who lives an incredibly busy lifestyle without a regular routine each week is full of new challenges.  I have my three days at my day job, study, doing admin and attending various screenings and events for my husband's career, days where I'm generally just too tired to do anything, and in between all of that I try to have a social life too.  Add planning meals and when to train to the mix and if I don't take that time to plan the week, the whole thing is going to fall over in a great big heap!

But I do plan, and I make it work.  But what happens when something gets thrown into the mix I wasn't expecting?  I'm thinking of this in particular today because over the past few days an ongoing condition with my two top left ribs and scapula flared up, which gives me a lot of pain.  

I can usually train with it, and do, but yesterday it was hurting in a way I wasn't very comfortable with I decided to take the day off my planned 10km run and rest with a heat pack.   Oh the guilt!  It got me thinking today about what the line is between listening to your body and making excuses? 

Today my neck was a still a little stiff and my legs were aaaaaaching with DOMS but because my neck had loosened up, I headed out for my delayed run anyway, promising myself I could take is slow as long as I got it done.  But once I got out there in the crisp air, with the music going I found my stride and while my legs felt heavy I smashed out a run only 20 seconds longer than the PB 10km I did on Thursday.  HOW, HOW, HOW?  Bodies really are amazing.  Sure when you're muscles are sore and fatigued, it feels harder, but you're still capable of doing things you never thought possible.

After today I'm definitely starting to find that balance between listening to my body and making excuses - hopefully next time I need to let my body rest I won't have to beat myself up so much and I can take that recovery time without the side of guilt.


Heading out all strapped up earlier this year - not a lot gets in the way of a run!
(PS: I promise to start taking some more recent photos soon!)

Anyway.  Since I changed my plan yesterday and let my body rest, and I had an appointment with my osteopath today who told me to skip exercise for 24 hours I wasn't able to go to Bikram yoga tonight either.  So.  The new plan is this:

Tuesday night:  Rowing intervals then Combat at the Gym
Wednesday: 8km run with hill reps
Thursday: Strength training
Friday: 9km run
Saturday: Remember how I said I was hoping to find a local bootcamp?  Well I didn't so I've rounded up some local 12WBT girls to participate in our Week 4 Fitness Test and the Super Saturday Session!  Just a touch excited about this!
Sunday: 17km run 

Not a bad week coming up although not as much strength training as I would like.  

1 comment:

  1. Like the photo - and the haircut - it's more obvious in that photo, though I don't know why!

    I get guilty when I don't exercise as planned even IF I have a legitimate excuse.

    I think it's great you went out even though you were DOMSing and still did well. Our bodies are amazing things!

    Deb

    ReplyDelete