Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Goals Part 2 - 12 Weeks or Before

I wrote a post just the other day as part of my preseason tasks titled Goals - 12 Weeks and Beyond but this morning it occurred to me I have a few more immediate mini-goals which I have been striving towards for some time that I would like to achieve ASAP. Now it might seem like I am being impatient but seriously, these goals feel so close at the moment I have decided they will be mine in the next few weeks.

1. I want to run a sub 5 minute kilometre. My personal best is 5.04, and I thought I was going to beat that last time I ran a time trial but I didn't get anywhere near it with my 5.16. I'm not unhappy with these results, in fact when I tell friends I can run a km in 5 minutes they are pretty blown away - but I KNOW I have it in me to beat that time, and so, I want to.

2. I want to conquer my fear of the weights room in the gym. I am more than happy to grace the cardio equipment - that said, since I started running outdoors I am completely uninspired by the cardio equipment at the gym. My sole reason for rejoining a gym was to start lifting heavy stuff. I do this with my PT once a fortnight, but aside from that I only visit the gym for group fitness classes. You'd think that would be more intimidating right? No - in a group fitness class you can convince yourself you're hidden amongst the crowd (you never are, a good instructor will know everyone in their group). It's not even that I don't know how to use the equipment - I do! It's a really irrational fear that I have just GOT to get over if I am going to reach my goals this round. And it needs to happen STAT.

3. I need to make pushups my b*tch. I know I can do push ups. If I am in the middle of a group workout and the trainer says drop I can do a few before my brain kicks in and says "oh, wait - I can't do pushups!" then it becomes all too hard. I could stop typing and try to do one now and it would be the hardest push up I have ever done, all because my brain gets in the way. So I have decided, from today, I will do 3 sets of 15 pushups - each set on my toes until I HAVE to drop to my knees, and each day I will strive to do one extra. I will work on the technique and I will get it right. I know when I have got push ups down it will feel amazing to do them, and I really want that.

Aside from goals, I have an experiment in the pipeline. From today I am going to give 1400 calories a shot. I've been at the same weight for about 4 months now and I really want to drop the rest of my excess weight - the sooner the better. I read Rell's post Don't Be Afraid to Eat yesterday and it occurred to me that - when my nutrition is in order - I never allow myself over 1200 calories a day. It's always under - not drastically under, but most definitely under. Usually if I go over my calorie intake it's with a couple of glasses of wine, and even then, if I know I'm going to have something to drink I will seriously scale back on my calorie intake that day by dropping my snacks and eating very low calorie meals. So I've put it to myself to not drink for the rest of the month, give 1400 a shot for a couple of weeks and see how I go. I am confident I won't put on weight, so I really have nothing to lose. That extra 200 calories will be good, clean, whole food each time. Today it's going to be two boiled eggs and half a mango.

Anyway, time to finish this post off. I am proud to say that I have really started to honour my commitment of being more consistent with my blog! Three posts this week. How about that?!

2 comments:

  1. More great goals Nikki. I saw a trainer last year, who suggested for my height and current weight (ie. 178cm & 107kg) I should be having about 1400 cals a day to lose weight, rather than 1200. I had the 1200 when I was doing 12WBT, but am now focussing (when I'm being 'good') on keeping my cals between 1200 & 1400.

    Good luck with the weights!

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Deb! That's the catch isn't it. Realising that even with the 1400 it's not a free-for-all, which, for me is going to be a strange because despite Mish's "don't be an all or nothing person" talk I am STILL an all or nothing person, so this new phase of careful moderation is going to be interesting!

      Delete