Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Goal Adjustment - Finding the Right Direction

As a lot of you would know, I was planning on doing the Advanced Lean & Strong program for this round of 12WBT, but after a week of serious thought, I've decided that the program is not right for my goals. Sure I want to tone up, but with my running program which will have me running three times a week with a total of 23-27kms a week over the next 8 weeks, my Jells sessions on Saturdays, this new training session I started going to on Wednesdays, the boxing based training I do at home and the fact I really want to start going to KIMAX on Thursday evenings, I really don't feel like I have to time or stamina to add in 5 big strength workouts a week. I am doing some great strength work at the moment with my PT and I love it, but my real goals lie with running and I am not prepared to sideline those.

Running is really important to me. It is something from as early as I can remember, that I was not good at. I remember always coming last in races at sports events in primary school, and only in the last year have a discovered I actually can do it, and not do it too badly either. Sure, I am never going to be the fastest, but who cares - I can actually run kilometres and sometimes I run lots of them.

Anyway, getting away from my point. My point is that I have decided to go with Advanced Lean & Fit for this round - but on my strength days I am going to seriously up my weights. I know a few people suggested the Half Mara running program to me - but I already have a running plan that is tailored specifically to me and my goals that I am really pleased with (getting brilliant results!!!) so Lean & Fit it is. Lean and Strong will be there for other rounds should my goals change, but for now, while OF COURSE I want to tone up, it just doesn't suit me.

Now I've made my decision, I have all weekend to get comfortable with it! Even though after talking to my awesome Twitter family yesterday and getting some excellent advice I started to feel better, and I kind of knew right away this was the right decision to make.

So. Now I have made a decision, that I feel very positive about, I am looking forward to some big challenges this round! None of my goals have changed, just my approach!

4 comments:

  1. Either way.... enjoy!

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! I'm happy for you! It's so much easier to have made a decision than to be thinking about it. If it helps any, I'm right behind you. I think you've made exactly the right choice - the opinion of another long-distance runner, of course ... but we do enough strength already to ensure those LSDs don't do too much damage .... and there's always Round 2 to do L and S!! Just keep enjoy all those workouts and the wonderful feeling when you finish a 28k or more ... great sense of achievement. Nothing should get in the way x

    Symphony/Amanda
    www.putthekettleon.org

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Amanda - as soon as I made the decision I knew it was the right one! I love that feeling - knowing you have control and you have picked what is going to be the right thing for you.

    ReplyDelete