Sunday, February 5, 2012

Day One: Project Early Bird

Yesterday, Sunday, I was up rather early for a Sunday - before 8am! But I don't consider that a real step in my efforts to become an early riser, as I would normally get up at about 7am on a weekday - especially the days I head into the city for my day job. No, this is about becoming someone who gets up early, has time to train and do various other things before the day starts.

There's something extremely appealing in this idea - although when it comes down to getting up bed just seems so much more inviting than getting up and starting the day.

This morning I knew I didn't have to train, as I have a weights session and pump class scheduled in for tonight, but in any case, I set my alarm for a whole half an hour earlier than usual. I also do this when I have a run planned, and can manage to drag myself up in time to run, but I usually press the sleep button twice and don't end up leaving for a run till about 7am and then end up rushing to get ready in twenty minutes before I need to leave for work. Or, if I am working from home or studying, I just end up running behind in my schedule... I might even allow myself to sleep till 8am or later on those days. I know!

So. Bringing the conversation back to this morning - I had set the alarm for 6.30 am. I pressed the sleep button once, but I was up a whole 20 minutes earlier than usual. I got up, made a cup of tea and got ready - I didn't realise I had perfected the process of getting ready for work in 15 minutes (gym gear, and lunch packed the night before). So here I am blogging the extra 20 minutes away!

Now I know I did press the sleep button once - but it was more out of habit than anything. And you know what, sleeping and waking up times ARE just a habit. Here's to the start of the new habit of getting up early! I am already loving having this small window of "extra time".

1 comment:

  1. Nikki, what a great start! I see all of those people doing the 'Crack of Arse' training but because I like to do gym sessions - none of which are in the morning - I was getting up an hour early to write and read blogs for an hour. I've slipped up a bit lately so need to get back into it.

    I love the extra time factor as well, as I've (long ago) worked out that I need 20mins before work to get us, dress, eat and leave (I shower before bed at night)... so anything more than that is a luxury!

    Deb

    ReplyDelete