Thursday, September 29, 2011

Overcoming Struggles

Last week I tried to post, but found myself continually punching negative self talk, excuses, and just general whineyness into the keyboard and not loving what I was reading. It wasn't who I wanted to be. So I struggled on until I rode the wave through.

Now saying "I rode the wave through" makes it sound like it was easy - nu-uh girlfriend. It was hard. I found myself unusually snippy and in a thunderous mood. By the end of the week I realised I had managed to let my entire week slip - I caved to those red flag days because my folks were visiting from interstate, I was tired, I made excuse after excuse and suddenly it had been a week since I'd trained. And to be honest, the week before hadn't been that crash hot either.


Riding the wave? No, I'm not convinced either.

What happened next? Wellllll, I'd LIKE to say I snapped back to it and "jumped back on the wagon" (ugh, I hate that phrase!), but it's been a process. The first step was the hardest. Getting back out on the pavement.

I had planned to head on out to Jells Park but OF COURSE the neck issue I mentioned in my last posts reared it's ugly head as a result of not sleeping well and not being kind to my body. So yet another day was a write off.

Sunday I spent most of the day talking myself out of going for a run - that voice in my head telling me how hard it would be because I'd let my training slide for so long started up, but I laced up my sneakers and headed out anyway. 8kms later and one of the longest runs I've done outdoors ever, was done. And I smashed it. I was BACK!

Then came Monday, I has a small drama at work. I'll spare you the details, but it made me stressed, upset and panicky all day and there I was - ready to come home miserable, tired and ready to sink onto the couch with a glass of wine and sulk. Instead, I ran. And it felt amazing. It got it out. I MUST REMEMBER THAT THIS WORKED!

Making that choice was huge for me, a turning point for me.

I'm finally feeling back to my normal self again. I'm excited for the week ahead. I'm back to working towards my goals.

One of my big goals this round was to work on my core strength. It's something I really need to develop, my physio tells me this every time my neck plays up. So this morning - only 3 weeks late - I'm heading to a Body Balance class at the gym.

Secondly, by the end of this round, I am going to run 15km. This week I've caught up on my running plan designed by the gorgeous Rell Frichot. Today I have a fantastic 6km run planned out. It was sunny when I went outside a moment ago, but hey, this is Melbourne and if I stop doing something every time it rains here, I'll never get anything done!

2 comments:

  1. Nikki

    I hope the rest of the week improved - after the work dramas on Monday. But... how great that you got back out there and how much better the run made you feel!

    As you know I constantly blog when feeling blah, but like you, do worry that my posts sound whiney. Sometimes it feels like they are NEVER positive!

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Deb, and yes! Story of my life :)

    ReplyDelete