Thursday, March 28, 2013

Run for the Kids Round Up

I ran out of time for this last week!  But I really wanted to post a Run for the Kids round up before it got too late, so here I am.

Knowing I really wanted to smash out my run on Sunday, I planned my rest day Saturday and spent Saturday evening getting ready for the race.  I ate a big bowl of pasta with some home made tomato & basil sauce, drank lots of water and laid out my gear for the morning.

Laying my gear out to check it's all there and taking a photo is a bit of a ritual of mine before a race, it's like the final step - the training is done and here's my gear, ready to go.  Knowing it's all there also helps me sleep more soundly and settle those pre-race jitters.

Yes, jelly beans are "gear" too!


The next morning we set out, only to find when our very delayed tram arrived late it was full of fellow runners and we couldn't get on.  I was busting to get to the run, so we hailed a cab and headed in.  After some confusion about where to meet, I finally found some of my gorgeous fellow Rell's Runners, including Bec, who was doing her very first 15km!

Jake and I arriving at the race, Bec and me wait for the race
to start and RESULTS!


Moments before the race I started to feel really nervous despite having done this distance a number of times before and knowing I had all the training behind me, but once I was across the start line all that went out the window and I headed out. 

I actually really like the R4tK course, despite the Domain Tunnel which is so poorly ventilated it makes the journey through it quite unpleasant when you're packed in there with 1000s of sweaty runners, but once I was through and the fresh air hit me I got a new burst of energy and I was off heading towards the Bolte Bridge!

Stole this of Super Sports Images: me dying in the tunnel.
To be honest, while the run up the Bolte was tiring, I felt pretty good going up, amazing going down, and throughout the next few kms I felt pretty great.  I really enjoyed the run through Docklands till we hit Collins Street - that hill is a KILLER so late in the race.   It sure slowed me down, but I was determined not to stop and walk.  The pace I was going was probably slower than I could walk, but it didn't matter.  


Run for the Kids 2013 Course Map
Once Collins Street was conquered, the run through Southbank was a breeze, and I was in the final couple of kilometres.  I wasn't tracking my pace, but I have a pretty good sense of how long a run has taken and I knew I was going to be happy with my time.  

As I was on the final stretch, Coach Rell and the cheer squad where there and that extra energy kicked in for that final burst and I ran as hard as I could for the final 500 metres and finished in 1:36:30.
I am really happy with this time, it's very close (slightly better) than what I expected and I feel like I'm right on track for where I want to be in 17.5 weeks for Run Melbourne.  

I'm feeling really confident in general about reaching a number of goals I put in place for myself when I re-booted this blog - I'm sleeping better which is VERY important, and I'm on track to finish my CIII this weekend.  I ran my first group training sessions as a trainer last night too, and it wasn't a total disaster!  I'll blog more about that separately soon!

Just quickly I want to thank Rell Frichot for her amazing running plans, my amazing co-runners and the gorgeous girls who came along to support us - you all know who you are and you are all amazing!

Thanks for reading!  For all those who ran Run for the Kids too - congratulations - it's a great race, a challenging course and a great cause!




No comments:

Post a Comment