Thursday, March 21, 2013

Baked Eggs with Home Made Baked Beans & Soldiers

As promised, I'm sharing my really super simple but protein packed, healthy baked eggs recipe.  I estimate this dish to be about 220 calories per serve, plus about 85 calories for the slice of bread (give or take, it depends what bread you are using, so please take this into account if you're like me and can't resist the carby goodness a slice of toast adds to breakfast).

Firstly, here are the ingredients you'll need for a single serving but do note you'll be making quite a lot of baked beans, and you only need about a couple of table spoons of this mix for the meal - I put the rest away for baked egg / breakfast emergencies!  They happen!

1 x 400g tin of red kidney beans
1 x 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
1 x clove of garlic (crushed)
1 x teaspoon of dried oregano
1 x teaspoon of smoked paprika
Salt and pepper to taste
2 x eggs
1 x tablespoon of parmesan cheese
1 x slice of wholemeal bread
1 x very small amount of olive oil spread

Throw the beans, tomatoes, garlic, oregano and paprika in a saucepan and heat for about 4 minutes. Once cooked, add salt and pepper to taste.



Next, take a small oven proof receptacle - I use a little mini casserole dish as I don't have one of those fancy pants gratin dishes - but anything small and oven proof will do the trick!  Spoon a couple of table spoons of the bean mix into the dish.




Crack 2 eggs over the bean mix into the dish, and sprinkle parmesan over the top.

I know they don't look too appealing here, but stick with me!

Pop into a pre-heated oven for approximately 10 minutes (or until they look like this).


I like to serve mine with soldiers because runny googy egg just isn't the same without some soldiers to dunk!

And there you have it!  These might seem very basic (they are!) but I assure you they are so good even the cat sat by me with a pleading expression as I ate them!


Can I has an eggs?

No comments:

Post a Comment