Sunday, March 10, 2013

Mad March Heatwave

If you're based in Melbourne, you are probably aware of the utterly insane heatwave we've been having and how little sleep the majority of the city has had over the past 8 days and that we have another 2 days of 34-36 degrees headed our way before we get a "cool change" of 27.

It's made it pretty tough to get outdoors for a run, or even get up early for the gym (which I don't even have to leave the building for!) but since I sat down and worked through my March goals I've been pretty focused so just want to take stock of where I'm at.

Run for the Kids - I've been training fairly consistently for this on my own, but decided to get some real structure so contacted my gorgeous running coach to put together a program which starts today and runs for the next 20 weeks through to Run Melbourne, where I'll complete my second half marathon.

This morning I headed out for my last long run before R4tK and I was REALLY happy with my energy levels and my pace.  



Due to some niggles I recently decided to finally give compression tights a go and so far they have a thumbs up from me, but time will tell.  Let's see how I feel about doing squats or lunges in tomorrow's strength session!!

Getting back to Bikram yoga is yet to happen, the heat wave has made being in a 40 degree room extremely unappealing to be honest, although I have to admit I've had trouble slotting it in with work, training, study and other occasions.

Cert III is on it's way to being complete!  I won't have it done 100% by the end of March, as I can't get into a First Aid course until April 17th, but I am on track - since my last post I've completed a nice large chunk, so I am happy with my progress (aside from the fact the reason I'm actually blogging right now is because I just can't focus today!!).

Eating clean and losing weight is a work in progress, I've lost 4kg all up, which I am pleased with.  It brings me to setting a newer, bigger goal though - recently I read an article in Runners World that helps you work out what your ideal running weight is.  Let's just say mine is a great deal further away than I imagined.  I knew I still had a lot of fat to lose, but I didn't really think I had 15-18kg like this article suggested.  I've drawn it to compromise, and I'm setting a goal to lose 10kg, which I'd like to do in the 20 week lead up I have to my half mara.

I have worked pretty hard on my running since I first started, and I really believe I am at a point where it's going to be factors like not flaking out of my speed and hill runs, and having less weight for my body to carry which will really make the difference between a little improvement on last years time (which is inevitable surely, since I was so sick when I did it) and a HUGE, previously thought unachievable improvement which it what I really, really want to see.

Anyway, till next time!

Nikki x

1 comment:

  1. Wow, so much is happening - and it's great to see you blogging again.

    The fact that you're losing weight sustainably and sensibly, sticking to the running AND almost finished your quals means you will be a great inspiration to those you ultimately work with!

    ReplyDelete